By Maria Lauret
'Alice Walker, moment edition':
* examines the whole variety of Walker's prose writings: her novels, brief tales, essays, activist writings, speeches and memoirs
* has been completely revised within the gentle of the newest scholarship and demanding developments
* brings assurance of Walker's paintings correct brand new with a brand new bankruptcy on 'Now is the Time to Open Your middle' (2004), and dialogue of her fresh non-fictional writing, together with 'Overcoming Speechlessness' (2010)
* traces Walker's lineage again to nineteenth-century visionary black ladies preachers and activists
* assesses Walkers prose oeuvre either when it comes to its literary and its activist advantages and shortcomings.
Ideal for college kids and students alike, this validated textual content continues to be a vital consultant to the paintings of a key US author as it explains her precise position in modern American letters.
Read Online or Download Alice Walker PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory_1 books
The current anthology entitled Mahesh Dattani: issues concepts and concerns is an collection of scholarly study papers on clean views and explorations from the texts of Dattani. Mahesh Dattani is a well known identify within the background of latest Indian English drama. He observes complicacies of human lifestyles with optimism and provides power to his audiences/readers with anticipated answer rather than leaving them pressured and bewildered.
This publication explores portrayals of Anne Frank in American literature, the place she is usually invoked, if problematically, as a method of encouraging readers to imagine greatly approximately persecution, genocide, and victimisation; usually relating to gender, ethnicity, and race. It indicates how literary representations of Anne Frank in the US during the last 50 years mirror the continuing dominance of the yankee dramatic diversifications of Frank’s Diary within the Nineteen Fifties, and argues that authors believe pressured to interact with the difficult parts of those variations and their iconic strength.
As well as celebrating the highbrow culture of a prior new release of Singaporean Malay thinkers, social and cultural activists, this sequence offers designated insights and views into the lived-experience and collective stories of the Malay neighborhood in Singapore. this can be the English translation of Isa Kamari's Potret Puisi Melayu Singapura, which gains the works of forty four Singapore Malay poets, from the post-independence period to the current, and indicates how the old context, group and the distinctiveness of the poet have given poetry written by way of Singaporean Malay writers its personal detailed identification.
The 1st monograph to enquire the poetics and politics of haunting in African diaspora literature, Ghosts of the African Diaspora: Re-Visioning heritage, reminiscence, and id examines literary works by means of 5 modern writers—Fred D’Aguiar, Gloria Naylor, Paule Marshall, Michelle Cliff, and Toni Morrison.
- Critique and Postcritique
- Reconsidering the Emergence of the Gay Novel in English and German (Compartive cultural studies)
- French Fiction Today (Scholarly)
- A Companion to Ancient Greece and Rome on Screen (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
- Emperor and Galilean (NHB Classic Plays)
- Contemporary World Narrative Fiction and the Spaces of Neoliberalism (New Comparisons in World Literature)
Additional resources for Alice Walker
Alice Walker by Maria Lauret